Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Rising from the east: The Datsun 510

UPDATE 2: Now that I've layered in the base color and form of the 510, I'm evaluating how much weight the 'Rising Sun' flag should have. I'll be playing a lot with the saturation level of the red in the flag to complement the car.
This little sedan has been tearing through the field for over 40 years - and it's still sexy as ever.



So, we're hanging out at the Historic race in Sebring last October (are you seeing a trend lately ;) and amidst the awe-inspiring WOT eight cylinder monsters was the piercing scream of this banshie. Not only did it capture my attention, I ended up snapping 10 or 12 photos down the short straight heading into the hairpin. Fast forward a couple of months and I can't stop staring at this car. So, I'll just have to draw the damn thing and finally get some sleep.

I'll post progress as it happens, but you can see this is a bit of a departure from your typical automotive portrait.
UPDATE 1: Here I'm playing around with the layout - trying to establish balance between the car and the surrounding elements of the 'Rising Sun' and the track surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment