Wednesday, July 6, 2011

1979 Mustang Cobra



MEDIA: ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR
I really dig contour drawing. It's the foundation for my style of technical illustration - but it's also a fundamental approach for more expressive forms of illustration - like watercolor and ink washes. This commission piece of a '79 Cobra just begged for me to lay down an extra layer of detail - so maybe this is a 'super contour' drawing?





This portrait is for a member of one of the coolest Gen III Mustang sites on the innerwebs - www.FourEyedPride.com. This illustration is fun and challenging - I've practically memorized the bodylines of the Fox Mustangs, but the early models have TONS of unique detail. (CLICK HERE for specs and performance of the 1979 Mustang, Cobra & Pacecar) I've started to layer in color and detail. The goal is to have it appear photo realistic at first, and then on second look it's more obvious that it is an illustration. We're getting there - stay tuned.


Another idea I'm playing around with is adding a striking King Cobra to the illustration. Something dramatic. I'm a huge fan of the Cobra used as the fender badge of the modern cars - but something a little more mystical seems appropriate. Here's a quick sketch...


1 comment: