Friday, November 11, 2011

Mustang GT Portrait

MEDIA: ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR
Mustang at speed on Sebring International Raceway. Created at 11" x 14" - Vector.

Want something like this for yourself? Let me know.
This portrait was created for a member of my local car club. He's a good guy - you know the type. He supports all of the local shows, events, and hangouts. He can also be found (most of the time actually) on our regional race tracks. He's built a sweet mustang, and he's getting pretty good at peddling the thing through the twisties. He expressed interest in my work, and shared a couple of photos from track days and car shows. I got buzy.

I'm a bit of a track junkie myself, and am pretty familiar with the local courses. We're lucky to have several world-class venues in South Florida. Homestead Speedway is to the South, Palm Beach International Raceway is just a bit North, and Sebring International and Daytona Motor Speedway are a couple of hours further North. Sebring is easily my favorite track, so I selected it as the backdrop for this portrait.

Sebring is a fast track. Really fast. Early morning track sessions during a moderate cold front are down right magical. I didn't have any photos of this car on track that captured that type of morning, so I relied on some other photos and videos captured at the track on previous outings.

This supplied photo was useful to understand the sticker arrangement, and see details of the front splitter.  This is also the photo I used to select the color palette since it was photographed with good neutral light.

In bright sunlight the details of the body lines and the deep finish of the car get lost. This photo was useful to see how the owner sits while driving, and indicating what type of equipment he normally uses on track.

This was a good reference photo for setting up the pronounced fore-shortening of the portrait - but you can see the colors are very flat in this shot. 
I have yet to meet with the car owner to discuss output types for this artwork. Typically I can produce a portrait like this with archival inks on cotton paper - or a Giclee print on canvas. I can also prepare the artwork for use on apparel and accessories. I'll update this post with those decisions and the owners reaction.

If you'd like an automotive portrait for yourself or your favorite auto-fanatic drop me a note. Or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment