Wednesday, January 18, 2012

GT40 at Speed

GT40 MKii at speed, Turn 6 - Sebring, FL
MEDIA: ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR - VECTOR

Here it is. This illustration has been a blast. Not just because it's one of my top ten favorite cars, or the great time I had at the track the day I saw it. I tried a new technique with this one - and I hope you like it as much as I do. BTW - did I mention this illustration is 100% vector? That's right. All Illustrator baby...

This is more like painting than drawing. Everything begins with a solid contour drawing - from there I start to layer in tones. I avoid any soft edges or feathers in Illustrator - that would look too much like a Photoshopped approach. 

This car is just bad ass. It's always been one of my favorites. Recently a few of us piled into a land-yacht (1976 Lincoln Continental) to cruise up to a Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) event at Sebring. We were lucky enough to have clear skies, cool temperatures, and acres of racing history. The sounds these cars make at WOT are amazing.

One thing I love about the Boss 302 illustration from earlier this year is how it pops off of the background - Especially the large prints. It's difficult to get the same effect on a detailed background surface, so I'm changed things up a bit with this illustration. I'm kept all background elements to a minimum. Just enough for a good composition, and feeling of speed.

In art school, someone once told me "It's not what you put into an illustration that makes the difference, it's what you leave out." Thanks Mr. C. That's one of the things that intrigued me about this piece. How little detail could I get away with?



I built up the first layer of tone and color on the GT40 careful to not add too much detail - I really wanted this monster to feel like it's moving fast, and detail usually has the opposite effect. The Gulf livery was layered on top of the body after I was happy with the tone and finish of the base colors.



I spent more time removing detail in this piece than ever before. Each outline and splash of color is the result of significant review. This work is about 2 months in the making because of the time necessary to add/remove elements to create the right balance.

The final illustration is on 19"x13" trim cotton paper. We have a printer in the studio that produces museum archival prints. SOLD UN-MATTED - SHIPPED IN A TUBE.  Every print is registered, and there are 100 prints remaining as of 07/02/12.





$39.95 GT40 at Speed - Shipped  1 of 100, Signed by the artist 

Paper Size: 13"x19"
Image Area / Matt Size: 11"x14"
Fine art Digital (GiclĂ©e - Definition) print
Archival Inks
Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper – Cotton Paper


No comments:

Post a Comment